March 31, 2010

Homemade Strawberry Jam

So for those of you who know my mom, you've definitely have had her amazing strawberry jam! Well lately me and drew have been pretty trunky for it. So after finding the Superstition Ranch Market and the awesome deals on strawberries, I decided I would attempt making the jam.
All you need is strawberries, lots of sugar, and sure jell (you can get it at most grocery stores)

I used sure jell premium fruit pectin. They have other brands of versions of this sure jell, I got the one with the no sugar or less sugar recipes inside. I didnt use those recipes because I love me some sugar. haha. the fold out had all the recipes on it. I used the easy freezer one.
this is my bowl of rinsed strawberries. as you can see I took the tops of too.

then you have to mash them up one cup at a time. I only did one batch to start with so thats 4 cups of strawberries. I just used a potato masher. Next you just follow the recipe on the fold out paper and put it into containers to set up

These are just little reuseable containers I got at the dollar tree for, of course, a dollar! And a good thing about this jam is that you can freeze it up to a year and it tastes so darn good! I did end up making another batch today because we just have so many strawberries left. I'll probably make more to be honest, might as well with strawberries being so cheap right now.
I hope you'll try to make it sometime. It's really good, easy to make, and ends up being way cheaper than buying jam (that is if you find good priced strawberries)
Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Um HELLO?!? I wanted to come! :( Next time call me... I want to learn how. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurray!! You have a blog too! (found it on your facebook).

    That jam sounds delicious! Hopefully there will be some around the house next time Preston and I are in town :)

    you guys are awesome!

    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmmmm....that sounds so yummy with a piece of toast right about now!!!!

    i have never made jam, is that even legal??? i need to try it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No way! I just made this exact recipe last week! I LOVE LOVE LOVE strawberry jam!! My most recent craving is for your mom's delicious syrup... I'm dying to make it!

    ReplyDelete